Searching for company and industry information
Searching for company information:
When looking for information about a company, consider both information from the company itself (e.g., the company website, ASX data) as well as information about the company written by others (e.g., newspaper articles, and analyst reports).
Finding information about a company includes the following steps:
- Get an overview of the company, find out if it is public or private.
- Search the company in our library databases listed in this guide.
- Look at the company's website. Review the information available, particularly information directed to investors and the media.
- Search for newspaper, journal and trade publication articles about the company. You can find these in on the Library databases page of this guide.
Generally the larger the company the easier it is to get information on it. There is a lot more information and analysis available for public companies than for private companies or subsidiaries
Searching for industry information:
Finding information about an industry includes the following steps:
- Search the industry in our databases recommended in this guide. In these will be able to find detailed industry analysis and case studies
- Search for newspaper, journal and trade publication articles about the industry. You can find these in our journal and media databases listed on the Library database page of this guide
- Look at some of the suggested web resources such as, ABS statistics & reports, government industry websites, consultancy firms etc.
It is important to realise that the more specialised an industry the harder it will be to get information on it.
Information in this guide has been adopted and adapted from The University of Melbourne LibGuide: from https://unimelb.libguides.com/company_industry, RMIT University LibGuide: https://rmit.libguides.com/industryinfo and Macquarie University LibGuide: https://libguides.mq.edu.au/companyindustrycountry