English Library guides from the State Library of NSW
- English - HSCStudying Standard English? This guide brings together the essential resources for HSC English, and includes key eResources and websites that can help you find the best information.
- English Extension 2This page contains resources especially useful for those studying the Advanced and Extension English courses.
- Poetry.orgA resource site for poetry and poets where you can learn about the history, meaning, and types of poetry.
- The Poetry FoundationAn independent literary organization committed to a vigorous presence for poetry in our culture.
- The National Poetry LibraryThis library for modern and contemporary poetry has the most comprehensive and accessible collection of poetry from 1912 in Britain.
- Discovering Literature: ShakespeareExplore Shakespeare’s plays in relation to the social, political and cultural context in which they were written.
- myShakespeare - Love to learn it!Dive into the rich world of Shakespeare with these full-text, interactive editions of his plays.
- Shakespeare study guides - SparknotesLine by line translations and study guides intended to be read along with the books they analyze.
- Speak the Speech: Universal Shakespeare Broadcasting PodcastThis theatre company is dedicated to providing freely available Shakespearean audio performances online.
The English Teachers Association NSW (ETA) provides online lectures from subject experts with deep understanding of HSC English to prepare you for your HSC assessments and examination. Topics include:
- Texts and Human Experiences (Paper 1)
- The modules and your prescribed texts in English Standard, Advanced, EAL/D (Paper 2)
- Extension 1 and Extension 2.
Find out more at the ETA Events webpage!
- BlackWordsA comprehensive record of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander publications, covering all forms of creative writing, film, television, criticism and scholarship, both by and about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander writers.
- Discovering Literature - 20th CenturyExplore the ways in which key 20th-century authors experimented with new forms and themes to capture the fast-changing world around them.
- Discovering Literature: Romantics and VictoriansExplore literary treasures from the Romantic and Victorian periods. Discover 1,200 collection items, 167 articles, 25 films, 30 teachers’ notes and more!
- English TimelineThis interactive timeline allows you to explore the evolution of English language and literature, from the 11th century to the present day. Investigate the many social, cultural and political strands from which our language was woven.