Referencing is about acknowledging the information sources used in your work and giving credit to the original owner of an idea, piece of writing or creative work.
Charles Sturt University students must use APA, version 7 (APA 7) referencing style.
Failure to correctly cite and reference could result in unintentional plagiarism, and may lead to academic misconduct.
There are different ways to reference:
- Download EndNote from Charles Sturt University Library or download/ use an open source software from the Internet such as Zotero, Mendeley, ReadCube, and send the citation from Primo to create and manage in-text citations and references.
- Look for the Cite icon on the publishers pages. Select APA referencing style. Copy the reference link, highlight it, copy it, and then paste it into a Word document.
- Manually learn how to cite.
Charles Sturt University interactive reference online tool, Academic Referencing Tool (ART) gives examples of APA 7 referencing style for a number of commonly used sources.
This summary, created by Charles Sturt University, gives detailed examples of the APA 7 referencing style for commonly used information sources
For more information on referencing, you can:
EndNote is a tool that can be used to:
- Store and manage your references
- Store and annotate attached PDF files
- Add citations
- Generate a list of references in Microsoft Word.
EndNote is available for students and staff to download, install and use whilst enrolled and/ or working at Charles Sturt University.
Visit the Charles Sturt University Library EndNote Guide for more information.
Learn how to use EndNote by:
- Contacting your Study Centre Library
- Visiting Charles Sturt University Library EndNote guide
- Watch the recorded EndNote workshop
- Attend a workshop run by Study Centre Library
- Attend a Charles Sturt University Library online workshop (Registration required)
- Watch the Charles Sturt University Library EndNote YouTube playlist
In order to use EndNote effectively, you should be familiar with the Charles Sturt University referencing requirements and referencing style.
Using APA 7: Follow these steps to start using APA 7 as your output style:
1. Download the CSU APA 7 style
2. Double-click the file that you downloaded, to open it in EndNote
3. Select File > Save As
4. Remove the word Copy from the style name
5. Select Save
6. Select File > Close Style
Before installing EndNote X9, please ensure you have:
- Checked Compatibility, system & word processor requirements
- UNINSTALLED all previous versions, e.g. X7, X8, X8.2 or demo copy (30-day free trial) of EndNote from your computer, AND
- Have no other applications running - including virus protection software, Microsoft™ Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, on your computer
EndNote X9 should be installed on Charles Sturt University managed computers using the Install Software (Windows) or Self Service (Mac) applications. This process will automatically uninstall previous versions of EndNote from your computer.
- Close all other applications, including Microsoft™ Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook and any earlier versions of EndNote
- Click on the Install Software (Windows) icon on your desktop or select the Self Service (Mac) application
- Select EndNote from the list of programs and click on Run
NOTE: If you are using APA 7, you will need to install the APA 7 style after you have installed EndNote. Please download the CSU APA 7 style and then follow the instructions above (Installing APA 7).