EndNote enables you to synchronise the references in your EndNote library with the references in an EndNote Online library. Syncing a second computer with EndNote Online enables you to access the latest version of your EndNote Library from work and home.
Please note that:
- The CSU EndNote licence allows you to create an EndNote Online library with an unlimited number of references and data in file attachments.
- You can only sync one EndNote library with your EndNote Online account.
- Changes you make in either EndNote or EndNote Online, including file attachments and annotations added to PDF files, will be reflected in both libraries.
- You can initiate the Sync process manually from the EndNote desktop, or have it occur automatically every 15 minutes (as a background process) by selecting Sync Automatically in the EndNote Sync Preferences.
Syncing your library
Back up your EndNote library before creating an EndNote Online account and or sync your desktop library with EndNote Online.
Registering for EndNote Online
In the EndNote program, Click the Sync button. If it is the first time the library has been synced on that computer, you may be prompted to create a compressed library as a backup.
If you do not have an EndNote online account, you can create one by clicking the Sign Up button. Click the OK button to start the sync. The time required to sync your desktop library the first time will depend on the number of records in the library, number and size of attached PDFs and the speed of your Internet connection.
Please read the instructions in the EndNote Manual before syncing your library!
- Syncing with EndNote Online does not include group sets, smart groups, and combination groups, i.e. these groups will not be visible in EndNote Online.
- All EndNote sets (including group sets, smart groups, and combination groups) can be synced between one EndNote desktop library and another desktop library on different computers and various operating systems, e.g. Windows, Mac OS.
- If a group from EndNote Online cannot be identified, it will be added to an Unfiled Group set in EndNote desktop. You should then drag and drop the group to an appropriate group set in the desktop library.
- Sync includes references in the Trash group. References moved to Trash in EndNote desktop, will be moved to Trash group in the EndNote Online and vice-versa.